Sunday, April 29, 2012

Pumpkin Flax Sugar Free Low Carb Muffins

Because I am on Induction with Atkins still I have been playing around with some muffins that don't contain flour.  They have something called a "MIM" or Muffin in a Minute that is cooked in the microwave. I don't much like the idea of cooking something completely in a microwave and their recipe just didn't sound tasty to me.  So I have been working on developing my own recipe.  They still aren't perfect, but definitly better than just plain edible.  Once I get to the next rung of the program where I can add nuts back in I will try some almond or hazelnut flour to provide a softer texture and richer taste.

So here goes my current incarnation of this recipe:

Pumpkin Flax Low Carb Muffins:

One can Organic Pumpkin Puree (Yes- get the organic.  Libby's is watery and the organic brands are nice and thick.)

1/2 cup Splenda
4 tbsp butter
2 1/4 t cinnamon
3/4 t nutmeg
scant 1/4 t ground cloves
2 tbsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
2 1/2 cups golden flaxmeal.
3 eggs

Combine all ingredients, dry then wet.  Scoop into muffin tins.  They don't rise much and if the shape you put them in is globular- they bake that way.  They don't smooth out like wheat muffins would.  So I use an ice cream scoop with a sweeper trigger.

Bake at 375 for at least 25-30 minutes.

I like mine after they have cooled a it and with some butter.  Yum.

No comments:

My Beautiful Nora Girl

Nora's Musings