Saturday, March 1, 2008

Good-bye to a good Car

This morning I was sleeping oh so deeply. The type of sleep where your body is really resting and restoring itself. When suddenly the neighbor's dog started barking. A lot. I jumped out of bed, and in my dream-fogged state, I thought I had left Sky-Dog outside all night. So I started running for the door to let my barking Sky-Dog in, when I realized, Sky was running along right behind me.

So I stood still in the hallway trying to figure out what was going on. Was Nora crying? Did that wake me up? No. The dog was still barking...but she always barks. Then I realized that someone was POUNDING on the neighbor's door down below me and was ringing the doorbell. Ugh. Over and over POUNDING, RINGING etc etc.

I started to worry that they were going to wake up Nora so I got dressed to go outside and see what the fuss was about. By this time, Doug was up with me and we started to go the door together, just as someone started pounding on OUR door! So I open the door and on my doorstep is a police officer, asking if we own the white vehicle parked out front.

"Why, yes Officer, we do... Why?"

"Your car was the victim of a hit-and-run. You need to come and see this."

So we go down stairs to see our car (Which is freshly back from the repair shop, no less) rammed up onto the lawn and between our two pine trees. The whole drivers side is mashed in, the doors either are so dented they won't close or they are mashed closed and won't open.

Doug is able to pull it forward back onto the street. There are gouges in the cement sidewalk from something being scraped across them, and everything is all shaken up in our car.

We are pretty sure it is totaled.

This poor car has been through so much with me. It has been a good car that has not gotten stuck when people expected it too, and gone places with snow chains that even I was suprised about. It has been a work vehicle for my cleaning business, a family car, a ranch car and so much more. It was the first "new to me" car that I had ever bought. I picked it out myself when it only had 20,000 miles on it. Together we drove a good 70,000 miles since 2001. I am going to miss this car. :(

Pictures of the mutilation of my car will be upcoming.

2 comments:

Dalyn said...

wow! I'm so sorry! That is so rotten...hopefully you have good insurance and can get another "good car" to take it's place.

Kay-The Rustic Cottage said...

Alee - I'm so sorry about your car! But I'm also so glad that no one was in it when it was totaled. It's wonderful that the insurance will cover for a new car.

My Beautiful Nora Girl

Nora's Musings