Tuesday, January 1, 2008

It's Time to Introduce Sky-Dog




I feel like I have betrayed one of my best friends by not introducing you to her yet. Sky dog is truly a girl's best friend and protector.
When I was pregnant she was my cuddle-buddy. All through my very morning sick pregnancy she was right by my side. In fact, she has been right by my side since we got her way back in May of 2003. She is coming up really quick on being 5 years old. We have no real idea what exactly she is, but we think she is an Austrailian Shepherd/Border Collie/Husky mix. She has the most lush and silky fur all over. She is the only dog I have ever felt that feels more like a cat than a dog! She is usually a solid 55 pounds but tends to get comfortably chubby during the winter (don't we all?).
Well, my constant companion got a bid...uhm... put out when we brought Nora home from the hospital. She sniffed her a few times and then refused to "see" her. I would be holding Nora and call Sky over. Sky would come like the obedient dog that she is, except for the fact that she would be looking in the opposite direction.
Now, I don't know if you know this about dogs, but it is completely unnatural for a dog to walk/run where it can't see. That is why those "Halti" dog halters work to control dogs that pull.
Now for the next odd twist. Sky's "room" used to be my "office" which got changed to the Nursery. So I am not sure if the reason she hangs out in there is because of her old association with having her doggie nest in there but she is most often found sleeping in the Nursery by the Crib.
She also gets aggitated when Nora cries and I am in a different room, as if she is saying "The baby is crying! The baby is CRYING! Why aren't we doing something!!" It is really funny.
Sky of course loves cleaning up the messes that Nora makes when she is eating. I think that is her favorite thing about the baby so far.
Today, I further injured her pride by making her into a sled dog for Nora's pleasure in the snow! She was very good but I really need to get her a proper harness instead of trying to made do with what we have around the house.
So I hope you love my Sky-Dog as much as I do. I could write chapters on her and how sweet she is. I am sure you will learn much more about her as I continue to post on the blog!

No comments:

My Beautiful Nora Girl

Nora's Musings